Translate

samedi 7 juillet 2007

Bachelor party ritual

I met this young "convict" (bagnard) the same day as the Gay Pride "hugging man."

He was celebrating the end of his bachelor's life (in French we use an expression that means "to bury one's bachelor's life). He let me take a photo of him but I dared not ask him if he considered marriage to be a prison.

I'm asking that question to you today :-))

Amy, from the blog "Chitlins and Camembert" explains what the French bachelor party consists of :

The phrase for "bachelor party" in French is enterrement de vie de garcon, which translates as "funeral (or burial) of the life of young man", or looser translation "you are now an old fart". This event is celebrated differently in different places, with three standard features:

1. the groom (or bride if it is an enterrement de vie de jeune fille) is dressed up by their friends in an embarrassing costume

2. they then must do some sort of stunt that forces them to interact with the general public

3. everyone must get really drunk

As long as these three features are included, you can find a variety of other traditions included in the bachelor party, depending on where you are.
Have a very nice weekend!

8 commentaires:

  1. First of all Marie...I sent you an email and called you Nita....got my blogger friends mixed up...sorry. Not sure if I had the right email address...if you get it, let me know.
    Thanks.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. You are such a "Minister of Information" Love all the pictures and explanations you give.!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. what a delightfully humiliating custom. A true preparation for the soul-sucking defeat of marriage. Well done!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. All the in love wanted to marry the 07/07/07.

    Say to your prisoner
    that in the marriage, you have a few pleasant moments

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I'm flattered to be quoted. Thanks, Marie!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. When I was in Paris a few years ago, we met a "bride" party on the Metro...They were very cute and the bride was dressed in chains. We got a good laugh(and great pictures) out of it. A nice memory. Thanks for sharing the guys side!

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. He looks like a big bumble bee. LOL. I know sometimes when people wed here, they like to pull some sort of trick on the bride or groom. When I got married, my husband groomsmen was going to paint, "Help Me" on the bottom of his shoes, so when he kneeled down at the alter, everyone in their seats would see it and laugh. They didn't get to finish the deed because the preacher caught them. There are other things they do, but this one came to mind.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Dear Wanda, sorry for not answering sooner. I didn't receive your email. I have just written to you. Thank you for your nice words.

    Bergson, I think 32 weddings were celebrated in Montpellier yesterday.

    Thank you, Amy, for allowing me to mention you :-))

    Very funny story, lv2scpbk!

    Thank you Neva and phlegmfatale...

    RépondreSupprimer

Bleu