Translate

jeudi 5 juillet 2007

Free hugs

I like showing monuments and nice places in Montpellier but I would also like my blog to convey the "mood" of my city.

A few weeks ago, as I was leaving a meeting I had attended, I found myself in the midst of the Gay Pride.

A guy was offering free hugs. I got some and I found that funny. The guy and his friends were very nice people.

"Hug" is a difficult word to turn into French. The French word for it is supposed to be "étreinte" but étreinte suggests more than a hug. Therefore we have kept the English word. Logical!

I like hugs better than (sometimes wet) kisses (as we do here when we meet our relatives and friends). But I remember the first time somebody hugged me in the USA, I wondered what was happening to me. That custom was completely new to me!

13 commentaires:

  1. I love this Free hug campaign. Did you see this Marie?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thank you, Eric, I went to YouTube, I watched the video and I posted a comment.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Marie, I thought the French word for hug was "embrasse" (or something like that!) Is it not really the same? I love the picture - it's full of life and joy!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Nice idea. Hug here usually means both arms wrapped around you with a big squeeze.

    Nice picture Marie.

    Abraham Lincoln
    Brookville Daily Photo

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Love this posting. And the YouTube info from Eric. A happy posting - I feel as if I've had a hug - and we all need hugs - thanks Marie!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. This photo caught my eye on the portal. Nice capture.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. The free Hugs should be obligatory

    Jenny the french word is "embrassade"

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. That's a great explanation of a concept which is hard to render into another language - it's all so cultural!

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Consider this a hug...across the miles!

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Thank you very much to all of you for your comments :-))

    Jenny, the French verb for hug is "étreindre". It can also mean embrasser but embrasser now means kiss and is very rarely used as an equivalent of hug.

    RépondreSupprimer

Bleu