Translate

jeudi 21 février 2008

Lawrence Durrell




British writer Lawrence Durrell lived for a long time in a large house in Sommières (about 25 minutes from Montpellier). He died there in 1990. Actually he was not a British citizen (he was defined as a non-patrial as mentioned on Wikipedia in 1968,the year we had a revolution).

I wonder whether Lawrence Durrell is famous in other countries than France.

A photoblog really worth visiting (I think Bergson and Olivier will like the post entitled "la bite à Dudule"): http://casy.over-blog.com/

24 commentaires:

  1. Je ne connais pas du tout cet écrivain, mais le village oui, il y a eu de graves inondations il y a quelques années?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Certainly in Britain he is.

    Recently, there was a sighting of a possible Madeleine McCann in Montpellier. Police say it wasn't her of course but i wanted to ask if you heard anything about it please?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. He is in Australia too. I studied some of his work when I was in High School.
    I can't see the photos for some reason Marie.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. j'ai un léger problème avec ton blog, ce matin car je ne vois pas les deux nouvelles photos ;o(. Mais comme lyliane je ne connais pas cet écrivain, je vais regarder sur le lien.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. C'est dommage que vous ne puissiez pas voir les photos, celles-là je les aime bien :-))

    Yes, Lynn, I heard that a student had said she had seen Madeleine on a rest area on A9 highway (aire de Montblanc ou aire de Fabrègues). I hope it's true since that would mean she is alive.

    Il y a souvent des inondations à Sommières dues aux vidourlades (débordements du Vidourle).

    Les photos s'ouvrent bien chez moi, je ne comprends pas pourquoi elles ne s'ouvrent pas chez toi, Olivier.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Je suis comme Lyliane et Olivier, je ne connais pas cet écrivain mais Sommières Oui. Je ne peux pas ouvrir la seconde photo mais je suis allée sur le lien pour en savoir plus. Je vois que plusieurs d'entre nous ne peuvent pas voir toutes les photos.
    Sopmmières est une très jolie ville et quand je la vois sous les eaux de la Virdoule, je suis triste.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. voila je vois les photos, et je suis content, j'adore la premiere

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. e n'avais vu qu'une seule ploto aussi, je vois les 2 ùaintenant.
    Pour répondre à ta question sur la Mairie de Paris,il y a des visites en groupes et individuelles mais sur rendez vous du lundi au vendredi, tu peux te renseigner au 3975, mais je ne connais pas les délais pour y entrer. Elle vaut le déplassement et la visite, c'est magnifique et on apprend beaucoup de choses sur cet édifice.Si tu passes à Paris fait moi signe.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. A great writtes he is ... loved the color on the wall ... it's just marvellous!

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. From the French Wikipedia, it shows what a cosmopolitan and brilliant chap he was.
    Until now I didn't know that Gerald Durrell had a brother. I can only conclude that he was famous in many countries.
    Je suis désolé de dire que vos photos, tous les deux, n'apparaissent pas sur votre blog.
    Mais ne vous inquiétez pas. L'histoire dit plus que les images, peut-être.

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. You should go visit the blog mentioned at the bottom of my post....

    I'm sorry about the photos. They appear on some computers and not on other computers, difficult to understand!

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Ca y est, je peux voir aussi la seconde photo. J'aime bien cet intérieur. Les photos en NB sur ce mur orange et la dorure du miroir, c'est chouette !

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. Marie, My computer won't let me see the pictures. I will check back later!!

    LOL :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. I couldn't see the photos either, but thank you for sharing the link. Wonderful photos on that blog.

    RépondreSupprimer
  15. Marie,
    Thanks for going to the trouble of ensuring we all saw these sumptuous interiors. They are quite splendid. I would die to have a gilded mirror as nice as that one.
    We have learned much from this informative and most interesting post.

    RépondreSupprimer
  16. He is famous in the USA!! For sure. Cool that he lived there!

    I can see the photos fine, did you fix them?

    I love these pictures, very nice.

    I apologize for being so busy, I am working on several important things including adopting my son and a poetry manuscript.

    But I still love yoU! (Sorry).

    RépondreSupprimer
  17. Thanks for sharing that link! Nice photos there, too! Cool! Thanks. :-D

    RépondreSupprimer
  18. I am overwhelmeed with the beauty and the color...we have no such place to go here...we have beauty, but too often it must reside in the mind of the beholder...but our nature is beautiful, and many of our people, too...and I think very much that you are a beautiful person, and I have added your site to my bloglist...Michael

    RépondreSupprimer
  19. I can see the picture today, Maria.

    RépondreSupprimer
  20. Oh yes, a wonderful writer. The Alexandria Quartet was just wonderful. I've still got Justine, rather battered and bashed, on the shelves. He has/had (?) a brother too, Gerald, who wrote great animal stories.

    Love these photos, Marie. Gorgeous colour on that wall.

    RépondreSupprimer
  21. Thank you very much for your comments.

    Imperfectnerd, I couldn't find which blog was really yours :-))

    The photos have not been "fixed" at all.

    RépondreSupprimer
  22. I'm familiar with the Alexandria Quartet as well as his brother, who may be better known generally in the US.

    RépondreSupprimer
  23. J'ai lu Cefalu et le quatuor d'Alexandrie, plus une nouvelle -en anglais- dont j'ai oublié le titre (Un mélange de sacré et d'érotisme, style mystères d'Eleusis)
    J'ai regretté de ne pas avoir découvert et lu cet écrivain quand j'étais adolescente !
    je me demande si l'intérêt de cet cet auteur peut encore être saisi, , un peu comme Mauriac ou Julien
    Green dans un autre registre...
    J'aime bien les photos ,surtout l'affiche "lacérée".
    miss Yves

    RépondreSupprimer

Bleu