Translate

vendredi 19 octobre 2007

War memorial


This war memorial (monument aux morts) was once located where the Corum stands now. It was moved to the other end of the Esplanade.

Thank you very much, M. Benaut!

10 commentaires:

  1. this looks like it is very heavy.....it's good they were able to move it without breaking it!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Dear Neva, I think they took it stone after stone and they rebuilt it. I didn't see the "moving" but I surprised to find the monument at a different place. I first thought my memory was betraying me :-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Ho, it looks like the monument at the alameda Park in Mexico City...
    Sorry to have tagged you again; didn't notice you've been tagged already... :(
    Have a great weekend!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hey, don't forget they moved London Bridge stone-by-stone to Havasu City Arizona.

    Everybody still thinks the Havasu City millionaire guy thought he was buying Tower Bridge, not London Bridge :-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Marie, i have an interest in war memorials, so thank you for showing this one. I have a plan of taking a photo of war memorials in all the towns and cities I visit. I just now need to ALWAYS remember my camera!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Cette photo est plus grande que les autres. Vous avez évidemment acheté un plus grand appareil-photo !!!

    Est ce le monument d'école militaire en Rue de Cherchell qui a été placé dans l'école d'Infanterie à Montpellier en années 1930?
    C'est de l'information que j'ai lue à ce sujet.

    http://www.crid1418.org/espace_scientifique/textes/aldrich.pdf

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. M. Benaut, could you tell me what page this reference to Montpellier is. The document you mentioned is a pdf document. My good friend Mireille Giraud, who is a retired teacher and a writer, wrote three books about the quarries her family owned for a long time in Ardèche. She wrote a book about war memorials (including all the American cemeteries in France, the stones of which were all provided by her family). She will certainly be interested in Aldrich's essay. THank you for her.

    Cabacurl, you might want to read my post about Mireille on my other blog (Marie's weblog):
    http://www.marieweblog.com/log/index.php?2007/09/20/1009-mireille-giraud
    Mireille's book about war memorial is the most recent one (Quand la pierre bleue raconte la Grande Guerre, literally "When the blue stone tells about the Great War (WWI).

    Expat, I didn't know about London Bridge. Thank you!

    gmg, I think Neva, or is it Lynette, has been tagged 8 times. It is an honor, thank you :-))

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Cabacurl, I am sorry for calling you Lynette :-)))))

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Merci, Marie, for directing me to your article on Mireille Giraud...it was very interseting. When I was last in France, sadly wa-ay back in 1985, I spent a week or so exploring some of the Australian war cemeteries and memorials in the NE corner of France, and Flanders, where my grandfather fought in WW1.I am very keen to return, as I have learnt much more since then.
    PS It wasn't me who was tagged 8 times, Marie, so don't worry..perhaps it was Lynette after all!

    RépondreSupprimer

Bleu